We can support schools wishing to convert to an academy. Our specialist solicitors have a wealth of experience in each part of an academy conversion and are able to provide a seamless service across our specialist areas.
"We would just like to thank you for the excellent support you gave in converting the Federation to a multi-academy trust. Your commitment and professionalism was second to none and you have certainly made this academy conversion easier than we anticipated. Your patience in dealing with the local authority was much admired! We look forward to working with you in the future"
Mike Powell - School Business Manager - White Hills Federation
Download our "Academy Conversion Top Tips" Brochure
Depending on the nature of the school/academy, our advisors will guide you through:
- The incorporation/creation of the academy including the registration at Companies House with a memorandum and articles of association
- The transfer or lease (usually by way of a long/125 year lease) of all relevant land and property interests
- The transfer of staff from the governing body or local authority to the academy pursuant to the TUPE regulations, including the consultation process
- The transfer of the school assets and contracts to the academy, which is contractually provided for in a commercial transfer agreement
- The funding agreement between the academy and the Department for Education, setting out mechanics and conditions for payment of the capital grant, general annual grant and earmarked annual grant, including all obligations of the academy to the Department of Education
- The assignment, novation or drafting of contracts for goods and services to be provided to the academy post conversion
- Setting up any trading subsidiaries where the academy proposes to generate commercial revenue that may otherwise impact its charitable status
- General governance issues including roles and responsibilities of directors/ governors of the academy
Our priority will be to support your school as much as required to ensure a smooth transition process.
Once converted, our specialist teams of employment and commercial lawyers would be on hand to offer continued support as set out in our brochure.
The school is able to claim a £25,000 grant from the Department for Education to meet conversion costs. The legal costs involved with this service depend on the nature of the school and proposals for the academy.
Our Academy Specialist Ran Oren would be happy to discuss your requirements before offering a transparent and competitive fee proposal.
Please contact us to discuss this subject further.
What happens to staff during (and after) the conversion process?
Please click here to see the answers to some frequently asked questions about this.
Services for Schools Brochures
Where should we email your School services guides?
Please enter your details below and access to these guides will be sent to you via email.
Health & Safety
WHATEVER YOUR SCHOOL'S REQUIREMENTS
Whatever your situation, our team of expert solicitors can handle any (or all) elements of your HR and employment law needs.
We’ve saved school's thousands of pounds by improving working practices and avoiding costly employment claims. Why not work with us yourself?
Get in touch so we can arrange a confidential chat about what you need and how we can help. We won’t try to sell to you or make you commit to anything, we’re simply offering to have an introductory chat about whether we might be able to help, either now or in the future
We send regular HR news and legal updates to HR ProfessionalsFREE SIGN-UP NOW